Skip to main content

Because of My Fam.....


Momma said, "Go to school first and worry about these dudes, later." GMomma said, "Be a woman of your word." Papa said, "Don't worry about what other people got going on, worry about you because the bills don't stop." .... Unc said, "Fuck these lil niggas." 

I remember all the advice yall told me and I lived by it. Collectively, I give every single member of my immediate family credit for constructing me into a strong and independent woman. For as long as I can remember, they have always pushed me to work hard and use my brains to get to where I want to in life and take the world by storm when I get there. I am grateful for them. Growing up, my grandmother started me off early into academics, and... I was educated young enough to the point where I had the option to skip the first grade. I have always given my grandmother credit for motivating me that young to be so driven academically because I still have that characteristic to this day. My grandmother, she is THE woman in my life because she has always been on the sidelines at every game (life event, obstacle, achievement...) cheering me on. If there is one person that I would give my life for, it is that woman. My grandmother is a woman that is opinionated, sarcastic, and a good woman by her own definition. There is so much that I get from her, that I think that in some way, I am her. I cant tell you how many times I piss people off for being opinionated because she has always taught me to be honest. Or, how many times I am sarcastic because many of us in the family have a hard time confronting our problems appropriately. And, let's not talk about being a good woman by my own definition because I pride myself on being the person that I am proud of instead of conforming to the person that people want me to be. I am simply.... Bree. My mother, our relationship is less intertwined than my grandmother and I's relationship, but she has taught me just as much. My mother was the one that motivated me to pursue a degree in the first place because I got to observe how her life played out from dropping out of college after getting pregnant with me, and understanding that I could do better than she did if I don't make the same mistakes as she did. I prided myself on graduating high school and getting this far in college because I am the first to so and because she never got to do it. Even though we have our moments, I always felt that when I got my degree... it would be the one thing that would make her proud of me because she has always pushed me when it came to school. My mother used to say... "Wait until after you graduate college to date." .... and, I used to think that was the most unrealistic and naïve thing to ever be said, but I completely understand now. Dating, and unsuccessfully dating, can distract you from being successful in college... and I remember times that I wanted to drop out and transfer due to complications with dating and if I just would have NOT done it in the first place... maybe, I would have had an A in that class or passed that one test. You know? For my mother... I am grateful. When talking about my grandfather, that is my second father, and he never fails to spoil the hell out of me in all aspects. Although he is tough, he has been one of the people in my life to give me the BEST life advice that is sometimes the hardest advice to follow. For anyone that knows me, they will understand that I am big on confrontation regardless of who, when, where, or how. For people that know me as of now, they will recognize that characteristic might have changed a whole lot ... which, I owe to my grandfather. There have been times where I have gotten upset around him and he will say, "I don't know why you're getting upset, because it isn't going to change anything. Crying does not erase the problem and getting angry does not make things better. All of this is just.... life." And, through him, I think that I am gaining maturity and wisdom. I cannot include all the things that I have learned from every person that was in my life because that'll just be a book, but I just hope that those people know that I am listening and learning. I am who I am today because of the things that my family members yelled at me about, lectured to me about, and some more some.....and, today, I just want to say thank you. 

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Girl friendssssss !!!!

Girlfriends was by far one of the best television shows that I grew up watching, and still watch to this day... and when I think about the type of women/social circle that I would like to be around, Joan, Toni, Mya, and Lynn is exactly what it would look like. I remember starting off the sixth grade and traveling up until high school with a huge social circle filled with all these different types of girls and young women with varied personalities, values, and beliefs. Throughout that time, my social circle remained large, but there were some tweaks here and there and some people were not meant to last. What I mean is, we outgrow some relationships, we drain out some relationships, and we sometimes stop putting forth the effort to keep up effective relationships. Over the course of those years, I developed a lot of meaningful relationships and developed a slight sense of what type of people I wanted to be surrounded by. One of the major adjustments that I had throughout graduat

Facebook Chronicles.

My post had over 250 comments and 18 shares as of writing this blog. So, all different types of men come in my dms messaging me with different purposes. I've gotten nudes in my messages, wanna-be thugs, nerds, mixtapes, drama, and all these other things in my messages, but today was the ultimate breaking point for me. This guy, who has been trying to get with me for years, came in my messages trying to talk to me, which I denied, and he in return got potty within the mouth and said some disrespectful things to me. There were a few reasons why I shared the messages on Facebook and Snapchat that I really want to share. For starters, there are right and wrong ways to approach women when you come in their direct messages. I don't know how other people were raised, but meeting and talking to people online is already something sketchy because you don't really have a sure perception of how this person is through something where we can be who we want to be. Behind computer scr

How Do You Go About Letting People Go?

The past few days, people have been trying me, yet I have provided them with opportunities to change that. Today, I decided to take the initiative to cut off my "best friend" due to her no longer being fit to have that role anymore. Was the decision hard? Far from it. I say that... if you allow people the opportunity to come back into your life from a previous mishap, and they did not learn from it from not having you present in their life then, then they are not fit to be a part of your life. I do not grieve over losses of people in that manner anymore because I make decisions that are going to be best for me. If it is best for me to cut ties with people that I have known for years, so be it. Whether it is friends, family, whoever... because you will not have a place in my life where you choose to be toxic. We are not going to speak on the countless nights where you called and I was the only one there to talk to. We are not going to speak on how you questioned whether you w