Skip to main content

Forward Ahead Take Two: A Letter To My Son...

To My Love,

I chose to write this letter to you to educate you on what type of mother that you have. What type of woman that I am, what I stand for, and talk to you about some of the things that I want for you. Son, have you heard the phrase "Men grow up to date women similar to their mothers." If that be the case, I want you to have something positive to be influenced by when you go out looking for women to be apart of your life as your wife and/or the mother of your child. When you grow old enough to date, I want you to understand and be aware of all the power that us women can have... because although we have beautiful aspects to our character, there are some of us out there that will have the power to get within your mind, your wallet, and your career and tear you down. Hopefully as a teenager reading this, I hope to have helped to raise you as a young man that respects women and that does not carry himself as a "hoe". Before you choose to go out and dog this girl for the next, or sleep with this girl's bestfriend and label up this girl for her money... consider some man doing that to me. Consider the fact that some men have hurt your own mother for the sake of bettering their egos and because a girl with less standards and less strong-willed came along and gave them something that they thought was better. Consider the fact that men have once caused your own mother to cry and sit in a room for days turning into months being depressed and contemplating her own life... All I ask is that you respect these women. If you take a woman out on a date, open her door and be attentive. Do not spend the date on your cellphone or admiring another women across the restaurant, pay attention to her and actually try to understand how she moves, what her intentions are, and just get to know her. If you call yourself considering having a girlfriend, do not make a girl your girlfriend until you understand what it means to be a BOYFRIEND. If you cannot stay faithful, DO NOT LABEL IT. If you cannot be selfless and be there for her, DO NOT LABEL IT. IF you cannot be supportive and start the relationship off with a stable friendship (with understanding the true definition of friendship).. THEN YOU ARE NOT READY FOR IT. If you listen to anything from me, it should definitely be to be a man of your word in all aspects and be honest regardless of the pain it may cause because lying hurts so much more. Whether you hurt a person or not through that, they can still walk away respecting you a lot more if you are honest. As far as education, pursue it. You will grow up in this world being a handsome black man destined to be anything that you want to be and do not let statistics or haters convince you of otherwise. If you want to be a doctor, be it. If you want to be a designer, be it. Whatever you want to do, you can... but understand the importance of being stable as a YOUNG BLACK MAN. You are not expected by a lot of people in this world to be educated (even barely as high school), to have a record clear of drug or burglary charges, to get a Master's, to be a dentist, to be successful, to simply live past eighteen... you have so much against you and it should be a top goal of yours to not fall into any of those categories. Understand that whenever you choose a career field, that it should be something that can be able to take care of you plus a family of at least four because you are a man and a man is expected to lead. It should also be a goal of yours to not necessarily depend on anybody to get things done because you were raised to go out and get it by all means and not expect things to just come to you. You have to work hard just like everyone else because NOTHING is entitled to you, you have to earn it. There is so much more that I have to tell you, so much more for you to learn and live by.... this letter was simply just a little bit of some of the basic things that you should know.

Love,
Mom

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Girl friendssssss !!!!

Girlfriends was by far one of the best television shows that I grew up watching, and still watch to this day... and when I think about the type of women/social circle that I would like to be around, Joan, Toni, Mya, and Lynn is exactly what it would look like. I remember starting off the sixth grade and traveling up until high school with a huge social circle filled with all these different types of girls and young women with varied personalities, values, and beliefs. Throughout that time, my social circle remained large, but there were some tweaks here and there and some people were not meant to last. What I mean is, we outgrow some relationships, we drain out some relationships, and we sometimes stop putting forth the effort to keep up effective relationships. Over the course of those years, I developed a lot of meaningful relationships and developed a slight sense of what type of people I wanted to be surrounded by. One of the major adjustments that I had throughout graduat

Facebook Chronicles.

My post had over 250 comments and 18 shares as of writing this blog. So, all different types of men come in my dms messaging me with different purposes. I've gotten nudes in my messages, wanna-be thugs, nerds, mixtapes, drama, and all these other things in my messages, but today was the ultimate breaking point for me. This guy, who has been trying to get with me for years, came in my messages trying to talk to me, which I denied, and he in return got potty within the mouth and said some disrespectful things to me. There were a few reasons why I shared the messages on Facebook and Snapchat that I really want to share. For starters, there are right and wrong ways to approach women when you come in their direct messages. I don't know how other people were raised, but meeting and talking to people online is already something sketchy because you don't really have a sure perception of how this person is through something where we can be who we want to be. Behind computer scr

How Do You Go About Letting People Go?

The past few days, people have been trying me, yet I have provided them with opportunities to change that. Today, I decided to take the initiative to cut off my "best friend" due to her no longer being fit to have that role anymore. Was the decision hard? Far from it. I say that... if you allow people the opportunity to come back into your life from a previous mishap, and they did not learn from it from not having you present in their life then, then they are not fit to be a part of your life. I do not grieve over losses of people in that manner anymore because I make decisions that are going to be best for me. If it is best for me to cut ties with people that I have known for years, so be it. Whether it is friends, family, whoever... because you will not have a place in my life where you choose to be toxic. We are not going to speak on the countless nights where you called and I was the only one there to talk to. We are not going to speak on how you questioned whether you w